Saturday, April 19, 2008

The First of Many Birthday Celebrations


My babe turns one at the end of the month. I can't believe that it has been a whole year already! My husband's family came over to visit tonight to celebrate the little guy's birthday. I felt that since I was a mom now, I should make my son his first birthday cake. I can't remember that last time I make a cake from scratch! It is amazing the things I have done this past year as a mom - baking a cake is one of them. I am very daring in the kitchen; so I tried a new recipe from a Cooking Light cook book. It was called something like Ultimate Chocolate Cake. I topped it with a homemade Cream Cheese Frosting. I even colored some of the frosting to decorate the trim. That is about all I dared to do! If you read my previous jogging post, then you know that I stopped in at a local cake decorating store and bought Sesame Street characters to top the cake. I bought a single Elmo candle for the babe's cupcake. Well after presents, we put the babe in his high chair and gave him his cupcake. This is the baby who didn't even eat Cheerios until about a month ago. He picked up the cupcake and set it down. I think that he liked the Elmo candle :) I broke off some small pieces of cake for him to try, but not a bite! Maybe next weekend when we see my family he'll be more daring, but probably not! No cake for the babe tonight, but he did like his baseball set from his Auntie Becca and wagon and stuffed animal from his grandparents. Although the babe did not have any cake, the adults enjoyed it and the cream cheese frosting went well with the chocolate cake - not too sweet! Tomorrow the babe and I are going to a baby shower. We'll see how that goes!

5 comments:

Annie Howes said...

ell done on the cake! Very sweet!

Annie
http://anniehoweskeepsakes.blogspot.com

Unknown said...

Happy Birthday, Baby!!! What a huge milestone (mostly for us crying mamas though!!)

My daughter turned one recently, and I still can not believe she isn't a newborn anymore!!

ThePeachTree said...

It goes by so quickly doesn't it! I can't believe my nieces are both almost 2! Love that birthday cake ;)

Valerie said...

Great cake! They grow so quickly, don't they. He looks like such a happy baby!

Carry Grace said...

They grow so fast! The cake looks great!